Wednesday, July 25, 2012

When a needy person stands at your door, God stands at His side

Becky's sister, Dana again. The quote above is a Hebrew proverb and the truth of it is magnified through the Ukrainian orphans who are in the US visiting and looking for their families. The group of orphans that were here last year are just now coming back to the US with their forever families. I am amazed at how each child has ended up with the family that was right for them, and each family has ended up with the child that was right for them.

So many of these adoptive families (including Becky and Kevin) said they were only hosting, there was no way they could adopt. There wasn't enough room, money, time etc. But they knew their kids when they saw them in this group of orphans. I hope that everyone reading this will take the time to come to one activity with this new group of kids and just open their hearts to the possibility that their child might be there.

On to my favorite quotes from R and S, the two orphans who are staying at my home and are looking for families:


I took the boys to the grocery store to buy food for their lunches and told them they could buy whatever they wanted. Every time we put something in the cart R (who speaks English) would say, "Dana, this is so much. This is so much to eat for lunch." I kept telling him we could use the food for multiple lunches but I think he was afraid I expected them to down it all in one night.

I asked the boys if they wanted to buy anything for someone back in Ukraine, R said he wanted to get something for his girlfriend and S got a huge smile on his face and yelled out, "Babushka!" He wanted to buy something for his grandma! Who can resist a 14 year old who wants to buy a present for his grandma?!?

My 14 year old was super impressed with the way S downed Tabasco sauce so he sent me out to buy "Insanity Sauce", which is made with super hot ghost peppers. My son Carter and a couple of his friends tried a drop on their finger and their eyes almost popped out of their heads. R tried a drop and had the same reaction. S tried a drop and then spread it over his chicken! His eyes were watering and he downed three glasses of water but he was bound and determined to eat that sauce.

R was eating a candy and he said to me, "In Ukraine they say the woman loves chocolate. In America does the woman loves chocolate?" My 9 year old yelled out, "Yea, that's why in all the movies the lady gets a big heart filled with chocolate. If you don't give her that she won't love you."

Yesterday (the 24th) R said to me, "Today is the day the man with the long beard walked far. He had a golden (makes a motion of hammering something into the ground) - that happened in Utah." Well, he may have had Brigham Young hammering in the Golden Spike but I still think he had Utah history down better than most Americans!

I asked both boys if they had ever had Pop Rock candy. R said no and S (with his very limited English) pointed to his mouth and said, "Yes, fireworks." Great description!

These are GREAT boys and would be a great addition to the right family. There are 12 other children in this group looking for their families - boys and girls of all ages. Thanks for all the love and support (and donations) for Becky and Kevin, now that Sergei and Max are here I can barely remember our family without them! We hope we can bring the same joy to another family.

No comments:

Post a Comment