Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 4 soccer

Day 4
We are here with another family, the Gardniers, family of Dema/Alex. It is so fun to be here with them! They took us to the hot spots of Mariupol; pizza restaurant, pastry and coffee shops and showed us all the local markets so we can fend for ourselves a little bit now. We even met some American basketball stars on a local Ukrainian team while we had dinner with them yesterday!  It is great and calming to be here with another family….we love you guys!
We went to the orphanage today and Kevin, Sergei and Dema/Alex played soccer in the sun. I watched and cheered as they beat up on Kevin…although I think he let them J. I sat with a Babushka (grandma) who worked in the orphanage and we watched the babies of the orphanage walking around enjoying the sunshine. A little girl named Liza came up to me and let me pick her right up. She was about 2 years old and the minute I held her, she cupped my face with her little hands and didn’t let go. I almost lost it. My heart broke as she held me. She is innocent and lovely and in an orphanage without a Mama and Papa. I am crying just writing about her. Ukraine does not allow adoptions of their children under the age of 5 (so don’t worry…I am only allowed to bring two kids home) but it again reminded me of all we have and of what so many don’t have. Hold your families tight and pray that all the children in this world find homes.  I traded Liza a banana for my sunglasses and she took the banana and took a big bite…peel and all! I think I will be buying up all of the bananas today at the market to bring to the kids. (I thought of the Miller’s and how much Yuri LOVES bananas!)
After the boys played ball we went inside and the Gardniers arrived with enough pastries for TWO orphanages! They brought their Uno game and although Sergei and Alex cheated the whole time we all had a great time! We are allowed a short visit every day (1-2 hours) and then we have to go. Max was sleeping while we were there so we only got to play for a little while with him. He is seriously the cutest kid. Sergei showed us these beautiful paper swans that he made…I will post a picture because they are just stunning! He brought me his report-card and showed me his 1st place award for wrestling! He picked me a tulip during his soccer game and I have to say….I am one proud Mama. I love this boy so much.
We are here without a translator for a few days and so we won’t be figuring out the boy’s history for a least a few more days. The culture here is complicated. It seems logical to just ask what the heck is going on but it just doesn’t work like that. We will figure it all out and with all the details, so our boys know their past and will be forever connected to it, but it will take a little time. I have really fallen in love with this place. The people, the history, everything.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you all are here. We were getting a little lonely! And I think it is nice for the boys to see us together so they know they will be able to see each other in America. Maybe makes it a little less scary for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, it sounds picture perfect with you all there together! I know what you mean about falling in love with the place. Is it because our children are there? We bought a CD from an incredible violinist who was playing on the street and selling his recording. I play the music and feel all the feelings of loving the culture!

    Sergei sounds like one amazing kid! Isn't it going to be fun to get him into wrestling here and let him just wow everyone? OH, this is so fun!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading all of this. I am SO HAPPY for you. What a blessing and miracle that you have been reunited with them. They are adorable and I can't wait to meet them. You and Kevin are amazing. Such an inspiration. I love you and can't wait to hear all about your experience. Love, love, love you :)

    Emily Wettstein

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are there with Gardiners - I know they don't have a big extended family but we will always be their surrogate aunts and uncles! Max looks like (and sounds like he acts like) Nick! It is funny because Sergei is so much like Carter (no smiling for photos!) but a great older brother!

    The girls are having a blast. They were at our house all weekend. They came to church with us - Suzy went to Primary and even sang in the Primary program during sacrament. Mindy called her up in Primary to be a helper so she would feel special. Pearl stayed with me and played Cupcakes on my phone the whole time. When the sacrament came around she turned to Carter and said (loudly) - "That is delicious bread! I want them to give me more!" When the water came she couldn't stop laughing about the tiny cups - then Carter couldn't stop laughing - we were the loudest family there!

    Mom, Dad and Tif's family came over for dinner and the kids played outside the whole time. When Carter brings his longboard in Charlotte claps and climbs right on it so he can drive her around - they both love it!

    Enjoy your time with the boys! Our love to Dima and the Gardiners - have you seen Sergei 2 again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the video and hearing Maks laugh. The swans Sergei made are lovely. Tell him congratulations on winning 1st place for wrestling. Love you. Hugs to each of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Grammy Pammy on the web! Thank you for the vitiams and for the good care of the girls while we are away.

      Delete