Thursday, April 26, 2012

Offical Day One

Today was our big day, our SDA appointment we have been waiting so long for. We went with our facilitator and had about a 15 min appointment. We saw pictures of the boys when they entered the orphanage (dang cute people) and Maksym is as small as we thought he was...maybe smaller! The file said that Sergei was an outgoing kid and that Max was more shy and reserved. They confirmed that the boys had been living with a relative who passed away, they both were diagnosed with scoliosis, they have an 18 year old sister who was never in the orphanage and their Mother did not pass away but lost here parental rights. Wham!

We were more prepared emotionally for all this news (I think) thanks to all of the families that have gone before us. The blogs we have read gave us an idea that in this meeting you usually hear about a half or full sibling and the true history of a parent. We came home and I slept for 8 hours totally wasting the days I have been trying to adjust to Ukraine time, blah. We should catch our train tomorrow night to Mariupol and get to see the boys Sat. WE CAN'T WAIT!

Kevin was able to see the girls on the webcam watching tv at home and it is nice to see their sweet, cute faces! It is a weird place not being with them and not being with the boys. We are ready to wrap our arms around our kids, like yesterday people!

Our facilitator Sasha really does really does kick bootie, we could not have made it this far without him! We are staying in the same apartment building  (his parents apartment actually) and we feel so safe. We have cooked and eaten every meal here in the apartment since we arrived and know if we need anything he will help us. The outside of our apartment is a little sad looking, as in Soviet rule sad, but the inside is cheery and very warm.

Big day, big news but we are still just ready to get this show on the road! Love you all! XOXOXO

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for sleeping the day away!! I think it was a mistake for me to try to stay up to get on the right time zone. I was tired the WHOLE time and didn't sleep well.

    WOAH! Big news on the boys! I'm assuming everything is still a go and okay, though?

    I so hope you get to see the boys Saturday...that would be amazing! We were told we couldn't get in on Saturday because it wasn't a week day. I hope it's different for you guys. I can't WAIT for that post!!!!

    Your view from the apartment looks MIGHTY familiar! We should have set up a treasure hunt in there for you. Hee hee! :)

    LOVE YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apartment with the playground in the middle reminds me of University Village. When I was growing up there I thought it was awesome - now when I go back I think it is a dump!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, funny, I live in University Village and when I moved here I was SO happy because it reminded me of Ukraine. Thanks for the picture, it is sad but has a happy place in my heart. Have a safe trip to Mariuple, and take wet wipes!

    ReplyDelete