Sunday, May 20, 2012

день 25

For today I went back using Sasha as a driver – I’m not quite into a bike ride to church with it being hot already in the morning.  First communion for a young girl today – I would have really liked to have Sergei there to hear the prayers in Russian.  Maybe we can try it in Kiev in a couple of weeks.  Good grief a couple of weeks hurts my fingers just typing it.   Whose garbage idea was this anyway to stay in Mariupol during the wait period?  I know that some of you might think and even dare to say that it was mine but whoever thought of it was an idiot.  Kidding, kidding – I just had to get that out.  That’s what happens after typing the phrase ‘a couple of weeks’.  Don’t get me wrong the time with the boys is invaluable and will make the move home easier for them but I am looking forward for the day when it is a whole day not just a visit.
So some big whig boss man is coming to visit the orphanage.  Everything is getting a fresh coat of paint – even the curbing and the tree trunks of all of the Horse Chestnuts.  Who that person is I don’t know as my attempt to Russian it out of Sergei resulted only in the affirmative hmm-hmm which is code for I don’t know what you just said to me.  I need to know больше Russian I guess.  I know that’s what I will work on for the next couple of weeks!
Sergei and Volva showed me a huge sandcastle that they had carved the day before out of a pile of sand brought in for the orphanage gentrification.  There was even a tunnel – all carved without any water just sand which was just wet enough to hold a shape.
Tsar of the castle
Just dry curb paint
I’m going to say we were all too tired to play soccer today.  Max and I had a little back and forth after he asked Olga to get me to play with him but for the most part we all sat in the shade and played around on the Kindle (thanks Conways).  We ended the visit back inside after Max had to go (to eat or sleep – either way not happy about it) where we got a couple of more photographs of some potential adoption kids.  They were kind enough to let us capture a couple of shots.  We also played some learn fruits in English game with Volva.  The competition worked well having the boys race get the right name in English first.  Sergei had the best score in the end but in Volva’s defense we’ve had Sergei in some serious Rocky II sort of training.  We also tried to Skype with Becky in Paris but she was offline so I packed it up and headed back out to the taxi for the apartment.

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the spirits Kevin. Treasure the alone time now because when you get them all day - while it will be wonderful to have them - it will be a challenge! If the wifi card working for you? Maybe we can try to skype later - which would be your morning.
    Say hi to Olga from Alex, but don't give away his new girlfriend here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get photos of big Sergei and tell him all the boys here ask about him. Tell your Sergei and Max we can't wait for them to get here - Carter, Caden, Harrison, Nick and Emily jumped off a bunch of cliffs (into water) today on our hike - we all commented that Sergei would have loved it. We pick Becky up tomorrow - the girls will be so excited to see her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to be in a foreign country by yourself (without spouse) without your simple daily comforts. I leave for Ukraine tomorrow and get to experience a little of that. However, it will all be worth it and what you are doing is so very special and important. Soon you will be at home with everyone, your big happy family :) Good luck with everything! So many have you in their thoughts and prayers, including us.

    ReplyDelete