Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Official Day: 34 , Kevin gone 37 days

Memorial Day...yes, of course I cried...did you even need to ask? As we sat around the graves of those we loved and miss and gave thanks for all the US soldiers and their families, I was overwhelmed with emotion. We live in a country where we have freedoms and rights, were you really can make it. Men and women serve and sacrifice so our families and children are safe, so we remain free. I looked at my cute brother RJ and his beautiful wife (my super-sis Lisa) and family and am so grateful for all they have given. Grateful to my sister in law Alane, who has served our country with her whole heart since she was just 18. Gregory, who serves with so much honor, I am honored just to know him. A good boy who has grown to be a great man. To my Grandpas and Grandma Merry who served our country and who are in heaven now, still watching over and protecting my family. To all the soldiers who served, left their families, have broken hearts and whose families have suffered because of your service, thank you. It is your sacrifices that make this country great. It is your service that gives me the freedom and power to adopt these sons of mine. Sergei and Maksym become official citizens of the United States of America as soon as their feet touch US soil this Friday. I could not be more excited or more proud for them to be citizen of this great nation. My grandpa Bud Sobieski was on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day. He saw the thousands of dead “boys”, our US soldiers, on the sand and in the water, who gave everything they had for this country. My grandpa told my mom he was an “undecorated, unrecognized solider, just a regular solider.” To all the “boys”, men and women who serve our our great Nation....you are not just a soldier, you are our heroes.

Kevin and the boys leave the orphanage today, finally. Get birthcertificates and passport and stay overnight in Doneske. Tomorrow they complete medical exams and go to the US Embassy to complete more paperwork. Sleep in Kiev that night and wake at 4AM on the 31st to take the four airplane rides and one overnight stop in MN before they make it home to Utah, USA on June 1st , home of the brave and land of the free!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. I am crying and all goose-bumpy. Thank you for this, Becky. I am so happy for your family! What amazing roots these boys will get to share. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete