Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day: 17 Dostavanya (goodbye) Mama Mia’s!

When I say it is hot and humid here in Mariupol, I think I forget to mention the pollution in this town. Mariupol is a steel making town and the factories line the coast and fill the air with dirt, grit and grime. You can actually TASTE the pollution if the wind is blowing your way, gross. Today was hot, humid and pretty polluted so we played for an hour outside with the boys and their new soccer ball until Mama and Papa cried “mercy” and then  headed inside.  Sergei started writing good-bye and thank you letters to the staff at the orphanage and important people in his life. He also picked out what gifts he wanted to give each one. Kevin and I are trying our best to make sure he gets to say goodbye the way he wants.  The letters and gifts will go out the day we leave, that will be a happy but sad day for all of us. Little Max helped us write on each envelope and seal some up. He was wearing his orange striped shirt again today…not cleaned. Bringing new shirt tomorrow!
(English class, learning the word tie. Max and Sergei love their Papa!)

Well to lighten the mood of this blog entry… we went to our favorite restaurant in all of Mariupol tonight! They have internet and really great pizza, dinner for us both is usually around $7. This was our last night because while Kevin was using the restroom, a group of kids had to go as well. They all pounded on the door and then the owner flipped the lights off on him from the outside..…do I even need to finish the story? He really wasn’t in there for more than 2 minutes but kids can put the pressure on anyone. Guess the owner should have sided with the American who eats there every night. After Kevin told him in loud English how rude it was for him to turn the lights off (it really was, he didn’t even turn them back on, just flipped them OFF and the last place you want to be is in an Ukrainian bathroom in the pitch dark!) so we paid our bill and left. What can we say…we will miss you Mama Mia’s! In defense of “just laughing it off” we are crazy people over here, it is VERY STRESSFUL so we lived and learned!  I will miss that place….  

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! THAT is CRAZY. All I can say is...too bad for Mama Mias. Because they just missed out on all YOUR American moola for the next couple weeks. Their loss!

    LOVE the idea of your goodbye gifts and notes...and letting Sergei say goodbye the way he wants to. I will be applying it to my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you guys - we actually miss Mariupol too - but it is magic being home with our little guy! I am sure it was hard on Mother's day to be apart from your girls. Just know that when it is all over, you will feel it was soooo worth it. Say hi to Olga for my love struck suitor over here. I will try to have him call her soon but the time difference makes it crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I just get this link? Sounds like you guys are having quite the adventure and I've only read today's post :-).. Just thought I'd let you know your darling girls here are doing great!! Grandma has brought them over a few times.. They drew pictures for katelyn which she loved! Happy mothers day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That restaurant story reminds me of when I went with RJ and Kevin many, many years ago to eat somewhere. Same thing happened to Kevin then, with people banging on the door to let them in. Sounds like Kevin may need some dietary supplements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seriously can't take me anywhere then or now.

      Delete