Saturday, May 19, 2012

Saturday – first day on the bike and day 24

I almost got ran over this morning.  And no I wasn’t on my bike.  I was standing on the sidewalk waiting for the light to switch to green.  From the side street some dude decides the he needs to drive on the sidewalk instead of the road problem is that I’m in the way.  I got out of it will all my toes.
Loaded myself and the bike up with goodies and gear and rolled down the hill to the orphanage following behind a student driver the whole way.  Student driver – weird.  Anyway the orphanage guard seemed a little worried that I might go off and ride around the premises so he made extra sure that I parked the bike and sat on the couch to wait.  I waited but I did stand up to look at the hallway photographs which prompted one of the kitchen staff to remind me that I could wait seated.  Man do I need to work on my Russian.
The meeting and bird rooms where locked today so Sergei, Max, and I went outside straight away.  The bike was a big hit and also too big for everyone who tried riding it.  Maksym and I had some good soccer time together while everyone else tried to ride that bike.  Masha (Maria) fell hard and landed completely twisted into the bike but just like all of Max’s falls she said she was fine and all smiles.  I was glad for that because it looked painful.  All of the other rides went without incident which was good with all of the kids and staff outside today.
It fits!
I played goalie for a while with the older boys and they pretty much schooled me on the art of soccer.  I still can’t watch the game but it is great fun to play every day.  Sergei was on the bike or giving rides on the bike for most of my stay so I didn’t spend too much time just with him after the first hour but he was having a good time on the bike so I just played pass with Max.
мальчики
I brought a bunch of bananas (Becky style) but I couldn’t get anyone to take one – until the very end one of the boys accepted.  Right now I am wishing had brought one or two home as I have just finished cooking up the cherry perogies from the supermarket and they are an epic fail.
друзья
(No English lessons today – it’s Saturday people!  I did try to put some together at the end but it was more difficult not having a room to sit down in like we’ve had in days past.  I’m hoping we get ‘our’ room back for the remainder of our stay.)

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen big Sergei? - Bethany says they keep the kids who aren't being adopted separated a little. Super fun to get an update - we miss you all and the boys can't wait for Sergei to get here. He already changed his name on FB to Radzinski but he hasn't accepted my friend request. Tell him if you don't let your aunt be your friend then no more FB :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Big Sergei about every other day - so I see him a lot. We've played some soccer and I have some pictures of him that I need to post. I can't tell if they keep kids away from us but I do know that Sergei will be coming out this summer.

      No Deena as a FB friend means no FB.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're in one piece, Kevin, and that you found a bike shop. Boy, you were the celebrity of the day, huh?? So cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids did like the bike. I wish that I had found one a little smaller so that more of the kids could safely ride it. I didn't bring it today and both of the boys wanted to know where it was.

      Delete