Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 30 of adoption, Day 34 of Kevin being gone...

Don't let me buy a vinyl machine...

This is a post I should have commissioned Katherine Ward to write for me. She is a true poet and could bring my emotions to paper, evoke tears and she is an editor so my Mom would not shake her head at my grammar and spelling. Katherine has a real job, so hold on, because I am just going to go for it on my own...

I landed in Salt Lake Monday, exhausted but so happy to have my feet on US soil and to be in the same country as my girls. My stomach was in knots making the drive home to where Suzy, Pearl and Charlotte were waiting for me. A huge banner hung across my front door to welcome me home, which my mom painstakingly had the world, my plane and my travel route marked out. (Mom, you rule and OCD is a gift.) I walked in and held my beautiful daughters, smelled their hair and touched my face to their soft skin...it had been so long. They held me tight and held no grudges for me leaving...their sweet hearts just wanted to know where their Daddy and brothers were.
(Birthday envelope invite...yep, I cried. My sweet neighbors love us)

My house was clean... NO...sparkling! I had no idea my floors and windows could ever look like that! My lawn mowed and edged, my fridge and pantry stocked. My sisters, Mom and Grammy Pammy had organized every cupboard, installed every target closet shelving system you could buy and loved my baby girls each and everyday with their whole hearts and then a little more. I was speechless, touched, overwhelmed. Every piece of laundry was clean and put away...not even one dirty sock...if that doesn't make a girl cry with joy, nothing will. We skyped with Kevin and I know his heart was heavy not being there with his girls. He swallowed his tears and gave the girl “googley eyes” on the TV to make them laugh.

I am so grateful, so grateful for all that we have, so grateful we have you in our lives. Our parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews. Friends...dear friends, old and new, neighbors and all the strangers we have not met, who are not considered strangers in our hearts. If I could wrap my arms around you all, I would. I cried as I hugged Suzy's Pre-K teachers, Mrs. Knudsen and Mrs. Tatum on the last day of school, they have touched our lives just as each and everyone of you has. You love us, all seven of us, unconditionally, with your whole selves, with your open checkbooks, with your open arms with your prayerful hearts, with your words, spoken and written, of encouragement and love. You love us and I cannot write the the words; love, gratitude, thanks, touched, moved, overwhelmed, enough to convey the feelings in my heart. My heart is so full, my chest literally aches. (No Dana...it is not a medical thing...)
(Charlotte getting ready for her two brothers...Bring it!)
I cannot read a quote or a sappy saying without thinking of all you who have literally changed seven lives. CHANGED, you have changed our lives. You have brought children into our arms that have always belonged... from an ocean away. Our daughters have been protected both physically and spiritually, by host of angels in heaven and on earth during all of this. Thank you, with no other words and tears running down my cheeks, thank you.

As I read quotes pasted on Facebook pages and slapped on every little decorative board from Harmons to Target, I stand there, read it, cry a bit (no matter where I am) and think.... “Wow, that is a good one, I should have that laminated for the house.”
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us”
In any situation, the best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.”
You must be the change you wish to see in the world”
and the list goes on and on....don't let me buy a vinyl machine.

I read these and I think of all of you. I wish I could list you each by name but the list is too long. From Grandpa John who maintained the yard and picked up the groceries, Aunt Robynne who empied Costco and hand delivered it to my door, to all my neighbors who brought flower, desserts (Emily...never make me those cupcakes again, I ate all 6) clothes and toys. To all of you and all thoses in-between, thank you.  Thank you for changing our lives, loving us and praying for our family, thank you for making this dream come true. Six more days until we are all together. Please pray and then pray some more for completed paperwork, safe and calm travels. (Max is 6 and has never been in a car before...four plane rides might be a little rough) Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. This has been amazing to witness. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. You and Kevin are gonna be awesome parents - of 5 children! This is only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete