Friday, May 25, 2012

May 24th - I got a Basketball Jones


I have an early start to the morning today (at least by my endless summer standards here in Mariupol).  Our most awesome facilitator already has my main apartment all ready to go back up on Lenin Avenue so Sasha the driver takes me back and I get started on a nap.  The apartment has been cleaned up as well – these people are pros.

So spin down the hill to the orphanage and straight out the back we go for some outside play.  Today I get to hang with the big kids (and Maksym) and we alternate between soccer, tire flips, and bike touring.  The older kids are more reserved at first then the younger boys but we warm up soon enough to each other.  They are all really good and patient with Maksym who like Charlotte thinks he is big Max.  Maksym really likes to do the same flips off the meter high tire stack into the sand that the big boys are doing but he needs a spotter or two to make it happen (as in hold him the whole way).  The boys are always there to help and I give them a break after a bit and Maksym and I work on our tumbling technique.

Internet speeds have been sub modem at best while in Mariupol but I'm going to try another video upload here.  An earlier video of a dance failed after the first thirty seconds but I never checked on my end because of the half hour requirement to get the first thirty seconds down.
Now if you are keeping score back home you know that today is also basketball game day – again!  That’s right another evening out with the oldest son (sorry Max maybe we’ll swing a Utes game back home).  I talk with Natalia (charades really) and Sasha again works his wonderful magic so that I can go with Sergei and this time little Volva to the game.

The boys get ready early changing into some out on the town clothes that leave me looking a little under dressed in my shorts and flip-flops.  While waiting for the taxi we bring up the laptop and are able to connect to the basement TV back in Draper with Skype.  We even see Becky and sweet Pearl.  It is morning back in Utah and Becky is reminding Peal that when the show is over that is it for TV.  It is just like being there but they can’t hear us.
Stylin
Photo by Big Volva
Small hiccup with the taxi to the game as the taxi is waiting for us at the apartment but we are all waiting for the taxi at the orphanage – no worries Sasha works some magic behind the scenes and next thing we know we are at the game.  We get to sit with the other kids, say hello to Alice, and then watch another game get away from Azovmash in the last minute.  That was the season – no more basketball.  There was an awards ceremony afterwards and with all of the next cutting going on by the Donets’k players I finally figured out that this was the championship round.
Orphans get front row tonight
With the Donets'k Tigers star point guard
Photo by Oksana
Outside we find our taxi and head back to the orphanage.  I quick note here about me and trust.  I am not very trusting of other people and add to that I am also overly possessive of material things.  But today I left the bike and all the gear I brought down at the orphanage while at the game.  The day one me wouldn’t have done that but today it wasn’t a problem.  For me it was a little firsthand lesson from these boys of that bond of one another and not things.  It reminded me of that one part in the Acts of the Apostles – you now that one part where everyone was of one body a single community.  These kids to me seem very close like that at times.

3 comments:

  1. Hello my son. I'm anxious to have you and your sons home in Utah. Spoke with Becky and she said you may start your trek home on Tuesday. Hope you will be home for Becky's birthday. I haven't seen my grandgirls since Monday and I'm suffering from withdrawal. Need a hit. I am very proud of you and your generousity towards all of the children at the orphanage.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having those same withdrawals. Home for Becky's birthday would be great. Happy to be seeing you again soon as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, what a great thing to have spent this time with your boys. Bethany and I were just talking today and she said that the days she had alone with Alex were, at first, a concern to her but then ended up being an incredible bonding experience. I'm so glad for you and Becky that you have had that opportunity. I know it must be a total bummer to be away and mostly alone, but I'm sure these days have been so important for your relationship with your new sons. :)

    ReplyDelete