Sunday, May 27, 2012

Triple post! (три в одном)


May 25th – Mud soccer

A front has moved through Mariupol and so the heat and sun has been replaced with cool (almost cold) and clouds.  I get a late start to the orphanage – I seem to procrastinate the start of the days few events.  Waiting too long to go to bed then waking up later then I could and then rolling down the hill late.  This also means that I’m leaving the orphanage later than five.  Once I get there and we start playing it makes it easy to want to stay.
Just before landing
We start today in the bird room to give the other family some time together in the book room.  Even with the cold and the staff warning Maksym of the cold he convinces Sergei to get him some pants and a long sleeve shirt so that we can go outside and try out some more time with the soccer ball.  Denis and Luca join us as does Big Volva.  We kick the ball around and Luca plays keep away from all of us – he is very good a juggling the ball and moving one way while getting the ball past you in another direction.  Volva (not big but Miller) gives Maksym a ride on the back of the bike using the bike rack for a seat.
Soccer field and basketball court
(I made Denis get in a photo)
All too soon it is time to go plus it has started to rain again.  Back at home I go for a walk in the rain to try out the pizza place’s WiFi next to the town McDonalds.  Verdict – it is slow.  I do find the local UPS partner in town.

A shot from overnight

May 26th суббота

I had big plans the other day about going on the Bike Day ride this morning in Mariupol.  I guess I should start by going to bed early.  It was that or the cold or the low online turnout (three people) but I missed the ride.  Next year for sure.  I do make it to the orphanage so bonus points for managing that.

Today is the day of the computer – online games and saying hi to friends who come in to visit.
Kindle has worked with with Maksym and friends (Luca here)
On the ride home I take Lenin all the way down the hill and riding back up on a parallel street I find the city museum.  It is right around the corner from the hotel (the new hotel across from the apartment, the hotel whose name I don’t remember and I refuse to walk to the window right know to find the name out).  Just know at this point that there is a museum and that it closes at four.

May 27th Destroy after reading

Pentecost Sunday – up early for the bike ride to Mass at Mary Mother of God across town.  Midpoint of the ride I get a flat tire.  Go home or go forward?  Go forward!  I start by walking because I have a lot of time still before nine o’clock.  So east I walk and walk and walk and then walk some more.  Blisters on my heels so no more walking.  I am now riding my bike around Eastern Europe with a flat rear tire and making an incredible racket because of the back rack is jumping all over the place.  I get lost, almost leave Mariupol, and get chased by at least three packs of wild dogs.  I feel like I am finally Ukrainian.  I’m late for church but in time to stay.  The babushkas can sing.  I know Alleluia and Peace by with you and it is enough.
The road to Ahrobaza from the other day
Now back outside on the east side of town I should just call a cab or better yet Sasha – the man needs a day off for once and besides I’m soooo Ukrainian right now (or so I think).  Ride the bike home.  So I’m riding home (and remember I’m a bit east of my home street) when somebody yells my name twice.  Well once is just your imagination but twice well I had to look.  It is Luca one of the older boys from the orphanage!  He’s the one with the sweet soccer moves.  Anyway I say hi and show him my awesome rear tire and then back down the street rattling along the way.  That is one tough tire – 30km on just the rim and the tire and the sidewall still looks brand new.  Can I just say that I was happy to be home in the apartment – thank you Lord!

Off to the motorcycle shop where I bought the bike last week to have the flat fixed.  I should have the tools to do this myself but I don’t have the patch kit and there are no quick releases on the Azimut.  Constantine is there again (he put my pedals on the bike last time and knows a little English).  So this place doesn't have spare tubes, just bikes (and motorcycles and tillers).  No problem as my new friend Motorcycle Sasha (also from the shop and not to be confused with Driver Sasha or Kiev\Facilitator Sasha) knows where another bike shop is in Mariupol that carries tubes.  Why do I call this Sasha Motorcycle Sasha?  That’s right because he has a motorcycle.  And because he and Constantine aren’t sure that I’ll find the place on mine own.  The right solution – get on the back and let Motorcycle Sasha take you there.  Heez YEAH!

Mariupol at 65kph is so choice.  The kph makes it sound even faster.

All of this cost me two Cokes and a beer.  I’ll pay that every time.

I guess I should say something about the day’s orphanage visit since that is the whole reason I am here.  No fear I did make it down the hill.  Things were quiet today for the most part – most of the time it was just the three of us out back kicking the ball around.  Sergei and I got in a good game of one on one on the ‘basketball court’ with a little help for Sergei from Maksym.  Sergei won both games – the first 8 to 11 and the second something like 20 to null (see above dude I am starting to get a little tired).

I didn’t take any pictures today.  I just wanted a day where we could hang out and kick that ball around like it was just any other normal day so it was nice to take a little break from the moment capturing.

Alright I hear the Hare Krishna band coming up Lenin – time to head to the park for a tiramisu ice-cream bar from the Ukrainian\Polish couple in the blue tent on the left.
Sweetest couple in town are at the blue tent
(Happy late Mothers Day MOM)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Kevin. Sounds like it will be VERY NICE to get these boys home on your turf! Are you heading home soon? Post a little about your schedule, will ya? ;) And while you're at it, tell us about the muckity-muck's visit! (Is it legal to request certain blog posts?) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David said that Sasha told him that it was the Prime Minister of Ukraine! I had my Sharpie ready for an autograph on the arm but when I showed up that afternoon it was business as usual. I said to Sergei - Visit, Prime Minister - and he shrugged his shoulders so we either both missed him or the rain kept him away. Either way the orphanage looks great right now.

      Good idea on the schedule - I'll post on that. Next up is the birth certificates and then we all leave for Donest'k and the RED passports tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kevin- Wow, you are having one adventure after another while discovering Mariupol. Again, I am anxious for you to be home. Be safe.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete